Upcoming Baroque Style Workshops & Sunset Suites Concert
CONCERT TICKETS 🎟️: $35 early bird | $45 music lovers | $25 students | $100 family tix (2 adults 2 children) | $15 concession card | $10 child under 12 *+bf
Concert: Bach Unwrapped ‘Sunset Suites’
Date: Thursday 6 April
Time: 5:30-6:30pm doors open 5pm
Venue: Eudlo Hall, Rosebed St Sunshine Coast, Gubbi Gubbi country
– Headline Solo Artists: György Déri (Senior Lecturer Queensland Conservatorium Griffith University), Louise King (Cello Dreaming)
– Supprt Act: Local emerging artist TBA
– Masterclass Acts: solo movement each
– Bach Cello Community Ensemble: workshop participants
NEWS! Excited to announce György Déri (Brisbane, Australia), Senior Lecturer Cello, Griffith University, Queensland Conservatorium will be headlining as guest solo artist for upcoming Bach Unwrapped Sunset Suites Concert on Thursday 6 April 5:30pm at Eudlo Hall, Rosebed Street, Sunshine Coast.
György Déri will be performing the first hopeful and sunny solo suite in G major by Bach and will be in conversation with Louise King on stage about his love of Bach and why his music has endured. Louise King will perform the second suite in D minor and transition between each movement with improvisations and readings from ‘The Cello Suites’ by Eric Siblin.
ABOUT OUR HEADLINE SOLO ARTISTS
Born in 1965 to an extended family of musicians, György Déri began playing the cello at the age of five. He studied at the Bela Bartok Conservatory before entering the Liszt Ferenc Academy of Music. Gyorgy performed extensively throughout Europe as a chamber, ensemble and orchestral musician as well as a soloist before becoming a teacher himself at the Liszt Ferenc Academy of Music. Gyorgy Deri joined Griffith University in 2020 as Senior Lecturer in Cello.
“Louise King exudes a vigorous artistry that surely appeals to a younger generation of music lovers… The Australian
Louise King is an exciting example of an independent contemporary classical musician. A refined English cellist with extensive international experience and training, she is an inspiring concert artist, teacher, recording artist, adjudicator and event producer. Louise has won prestigious scholarships, solo prizes and several international chamber music competitions and now performs in Australia’s finest music festivals and classical concert series. As Artistic Director of Cello Dreaming she runs a busy private teaching studio, produces and presents community and professional concerts, workshops, collaborative performance projects, mentors emerging young musicians, and is Music Director for the Southern Cross Soloists Winter Music School and tutors for the Australian and Queensland Youth Orchestras.
Louise King moved to Australia in 2003 after working extensively throughout the UK, Europe and Asia with the BBC Philharmonic, the Hallé Orchestra, Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra and as a cello, chamber music tutor and conductor of the Royal Northern College of Music Junior Department, Manchester. A multi-award and competition-winning graduate of the Royal Colleges of Music in London and Manchester, Louise underwent international masterclass and postgraduate study with Christopher Bunting, William Pleeth at Britten-Pears School for Advanced Musical Studies, Anner Bylsma, Karine Georgian, Ralph Kirschbaum and Steven Isserlis at International Musician’s Seminar, Prussia Cove sponsored by the Musician’s Benelovant Fund and chamber music coaching with the Amadeus, Chillingirian, Fitzwilliam, Lindsey and Kronos Quartets.
This Sunset Suites concert will feature Headline Artist professional cellist and Teaching Artist, Louise King performing the famous complete G major suite for solo cello by J.S. Bach. She will improvise transitions between each dance movement based on Bach’s materials. Each dance movement will be introduced to the audience through reading short extracts from ‘The Cello Suites’ by Eric Siblin.
Louise will be joined on stage by local emerging artists, masterclass solo artists and the ‘Bach Unwrapped’ community cello ensemble that will present famous short works by J.S.Bach.
‘SUNSET SUITES’ CONCERT PROGRAM
Support act: Emerging Artist Sunshine Coast
Headline Artists: Bach G major suite – Gyorgy Deri, Bach D min suite – Louise King
Masterclass Acts: 1 x movement per masterclass participant
Bach Cello Ensemble: music developed during the workshop;
J.S.Bach – Minuet In C
J.S.Bach – Anna Magdelena’s Minuet
J.S.Bach – Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring
J.S. Bach – Air on the G string
J.S.Bach – Gavotte from French Suite
J.S. Bach – Sarabande from English Suite
WHERE: Eudlo Hall, 19 Rosebed Street EUDLO Sunshine Coast
DURATION 2 hour cello ensemble workshop,1 hour masterclass with afternoon tea, and a 1 hour concert for participants and guest artists.
WHO Youth or Adult musicians who play cello, emerging artists, established artists, private music studio teachers, string teachers, community practitioners.
WHAT Ensemble Workshop is suitable for grade 3-6 level AMEB, Masterclass is suitable for grade 5-8 level and above, Ensemble sheet music link is emailed upon booking and receipt of payment.
INFO Please contact producer, event designer and Artistic Director, Louise on email@example.com | 0415 128 799
DATE Thursday 6 April 2023
- 1:30-3:30pm Cello Ensemble Workshop (grade 3-6 levels)
- 3:30-4pm Afternoon Tea
- 4-5pm – Masterclass (grade 5-8 level & advanced cellists)
- 5pm – Concert Doors Open
- 5:30-6:30pm – Sunset Suites Concert (Louise King with masterclass & ensemble workshop participants)
VENUE Eudlo Hall, 19 Rosebed Street EUDLO Sunshine Coast
- Workshop and/or Masterclass: $35 early bird|$45 full price per session per performing participant
- Observers: $15 per session (workshop/masterclass)
- Public Concert: $35 early bird | $45 music lovers | $25 students | $100 family tix (2 adults 2 children) *Cello Ensemble and Masterclass participants will perform in this informal concert.
Cellists! Are you learning a Bach suite, a Baroque piece (1600-1750) or an instrumental solo work by Bach or his contemporaries?
Sign up to perform in a cello ensemble workshop and/or a solo masterclass where participants will explore Baroque Style principles through a range of engaging activities. Play a selection of music by Bach in a Cello Ensemble workshop in 3,4,5 parts.
Workshop: Cellists are encouraged to book in for the Cello Ensemble Bach Unwrapped workshop. Participants will discover a selection of well-known works by Bach arranged for cello ensemble. Music list is listed below.
Masterclass: Unwrap Bach’s iconic six suites for solo cello in this inspiring masterclass. Take the opportunity to perform and polish your Bach in an open masterclass and engaging learning environment. Louise King will lead cellists and lovers of Bach’s music through a rich and artful educational experience. Discover the art of interpreting the suites and discuss Historically Informed Performance practice. Observers and teachers are welcome to attend.
Masterclass Topics will be:
- A short introduction to HIP (historically informed performance) practice.
- Overview of the movements in a Baroque Dance Suite.
- The main characteristics of the Baroque Period.
- Why do we still teach and play Bach?
- How can we approach it in a stylistic and informed manner on modern instruments?
- What distinguishing features are present in Baroque music?
- Q & A on style, interpretation, bowing patterns, voicing, harmony.
- How to get the most out of your practice of Baroque music.
- Professional performance polishing tips.
Musicians young or old, teachers or students will benefit from hearing a different and refreshing outlook on playing Bach. This is designed as a hands-on and practical performance workshop and masterclass for inquisitive string players exploring appropriate techniques, understanding style, tempo choices, bowing concepts, fingering choices, musical phrasing and emphasis, stylistic ornamentation, articulation, musical characteristics, rhetoric, vibrato and nationalistic flavours.
Musicians (minimum AMEB grade 5) are encouraged to sign up and contribute a solo piece to perform in the masterclass. Any level musician is welcome to observe and participate in the ensemble section of the workshop. Multilevel ensemble music parts will be emailed upon booking. Please provide a piano part if you wish to be accompanied in the masterclass section.
Music is arranged for 3,4,5 parts in a mixed level cello ensemble for players grade 3-6 AMEB level. Please indicate your level on the sign up participant registration form.
Cello Ensemble music:
- J.S.Bach – Minuet In C
- J.S.Bach – Anna Magdelena’s Minuet
- J.S.Bach – Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring
- J.S. Bach – Air on the G string
- J.S.Bach – Gavotte from French Suite
- J.S. Bach – Sarabande from English Suite
Participants to prepare any movement of the following Bach works (suitable for grade 5-8 AMEB and advanced cellists):
- J.S. Bach Cello Suites *(solo)
- J.S. Bach Gamba Sonatas *(with keyboard accompaniment)
- J.S. Bach arrangements of famous works i.e. Suzuki book arrangements book 3 and above *(with keyboard accompaniment)
‘SUNSET SUITES’ CONCERT PROGRAM
- Support act: Emerging Artist Sunshine Coast
- Headline Act: Bach G major suite – Louise King
- Masterclass Acts: 1 x movement per masterclass participant
- Cello Ensemble: music developed during the workshop
WHAT TO BRING
- cello rock stop (to protect the floor)
- foldable music stand
- A4 folder for your workshop music handouts
Under the expert guidance of professional cellist Louise King, the participants will explore Baroque music in a workshop. Friends and family will have the chance to listen, watch and support your performance and development. This performance workshop is designed to provide a performance extension enrichment opportunity to capable and motivated young musicians, teachers and amateurs. Topics discussed will be how to approach teaching and learning baroque music, characteristics of this style, dance styles, bowing pattern choices and include a short introduction on historical informed performance practice. Musicians young or old, teachers or students will benefit from hearing a different and refreshing outlook on playing baroque music, how to get the most out of your practice and professional performance tips.
Cello Dreaming recommends that participants have completed a minimum of grade 3 AMEB / Suzuki book 2 to be attending the ensemble workshop. Places are allocated on first booked, first in basis. It is highly recommended that you watch and observe the entire workshop when you are not playing.
A place in the ensemble workshop and/or masterclass is issued by Cello Dreaming. The booked place in the workshop/masterclass is considered sold and subject to the following conditions:
- The booked place cannot be exchanged with another applicant, returned and refunded after purchase.
- The right is reserved to add, withdraw or substitute presenters, artists, vary ticket prices, and/or vary advertised programs, seating arrangements and audience capacity.
- The presenter, performer and Cello Dreaming reserve the right of admission to the workshop/masterclass.
- If the workshop/masterclass has to be cancelled due to natural disaster, adverse weather conditions or for any other cause reasonably beyond the presenter’s control, there is no right of refund or exchange, and no obligation is assumed by the presenter for the arranging of a substitute event.